Stolen from my fabulous girly, Christina! You can find her here.
50. That awesome writer moment when you type “The End.”
49. That awesome writer moment when you reread something you just wrote and it’s like reading something somebody else wrote, and you wonder where the hell it came from.
48. That thankful writer moment when you get the kids to bed and you FINALLY get to sit your ass down and write.
47. That sad writer moment when you discover that a character you’ve grown to really like/love . . . has to die.
46. That awesome writer moment when you realize that what you are writing is bigger than you, is coming from some place beyond you, and you are but a vestibule for the creative workings of the Universe to materialize. . . . When that Universal truth comes to you as a gift to be shared through your talent, humbly, a light for others to see themselves and the world by.
45. That moment when you realize you need to kill your darlings. (See above)
44. When you realize you are narrating your life in third person again.
43. That awesome writer moment when you’re writing a creepy scene and you keep looking over your shoulder, making sure no one’s behind you. In your own house. In daylight.
42. That moment when an idea to do something perfectly horrible to your characters creeps up on you and makes you smile, evilly.
41. When you are losing an argument so you start correcting their grammar.
40. When your back is killing you, your eyes are buggin’, your legs have lost all their sensation, but still you write on like the badass word-slinger that you are.
39. That awkward writer moment when you start talking to a non-reader/writer passionately about your book and they pretend like they care but it’s obvious they are most interested in the activities of a nearby Porta Potty than your book.
38. That Halleluiah! writer moment when you’ve been querying agents/publishers for eons, and you finally get that “yes.”
37. When you get a brilliant idea in the shower and you hop out with soap still on your body to scribble it down on a paper plate with a crayon (or something like that )
36. When you’re on a road trip and you put on your headphones and listen to inspiring music while working out plot details in your head the whole way.
35. That awesome writer moment when you have to pull over to write something down.
34. That moment when the best thing you ever wrote was born on a napkin.
33. That moment when your “emergency fire rescue” box in your house is too full of your writing stuff to fit any family photos, baby keepsakes, important paperwork, etc.
32. When you are constantly catching typos in places they shouldn’t be; cereal boxes, shampoo bottles, text books, signs, and your kid’s printed homework pages . . . . and you make a big deal out of it. And no one else cares.
31. When one kind comment or note of encouragement from a reader/fellow writer can pull you out of that mucky bog of motivation-less self-pity and disenchantment.
30. That sweet moment when someone you know and love reads your book and you feel closer to them.
29. When you have a child within the age bracket of your YA book. (Yes! Priceless input!)
28. When that child doesn’t want to read your book because it doesn’t have vampires in it. (Seriously?)
27. When you read a really awesome book and you have to read it again so you can pick it apart and see exactly how the author made it so freakin’ awesome.
26. When you’re talking with another writer in front of a non-writer and they are awkwardly standing there like, “huh?”
25. That inspiring moment when a big storm comes and you start plotting end of the world weather scenarios and storylines in your head.
24. That awkward moment when you meet someone who reminds you of one of your characters and you’re like, “WTF?”
23. When that plot kink works itself out in a dream, after stressing all day/week/month about it.
22. When you write your first novel and are in love with it . . . .
21. When you look at your first novel a year later and realize what a POS it is . . . .
20. When you see how necessary it was that your first novel be a POS, because you learned so much in the process of writing it.
19. When you would rather write than go out and “party.”
18. When you would rather write than sleep.
17. When you would rather write than do most things.
16. When you’re having an “off” day, and someone gives you unwarranted constructive criticism . . . and you want to tell them what they can do with their unwarranted constructive criticism.
15. When you write drunk and think it’s the best thing you ever wrote . . . .
14. That moment when you look at your drunken mumbo jumbo the next day.
13. When you have more books on your kindle than your local public library has on its shelves.
12. That amazing moment when what you are writing makes you laugh . . . . or cry.
11. That awkward moment when seeing an old typewriter is an aphrodisiac.
10. When you develop a crush on a fictional character . . . . (Hey, he’s eighteen, it’s legal, right?)
9. That moment when a blog post you wrote goes “viral.”
8. That crappy feeling two days after your post went viral when people are so “over it” already.
7. That ancient writer memory of always having ink-stained hands.
6. When you have an elevator-pitch moment with a chance-encounter, and you totally forget what your book is about, how to speak, and that you are even an author in the first place.
5. When you base a character on someone that pisses you off . . . and they just have to die. (hehehe)
4. When you take your shitty day out on your characters . . . and it works . . . and it’sawesome.
3. When you finally meet that special person who “gets” you, and appreciates your word-nerdiness in all its glory.
2. When you light your keyboard on fire because you’re on a roll and the thoughts are flowing and the story has begun writing itself and you can barely keep up.
1. When your characters tell you exactly what they want you to do next . . . or else.
And one to grow on:
The realization that you cannot not write, even if you are not getting paid enough, or at all; because it is who you are. It is your gift.
Love to all my awesome writer friends <3