To start out this post on a bit of humor, this is me when I write...sometimes.
This blog post went up a few months ago and I think it's time to retell some of what was told then.
In the last few months, I've been to a few different events, with more setup for 2016. I'm going to post my own, honest opinion on things.
Not everyone may be in agreement with my post, and that's okay. Please do not go out of your way to "ruin" another author or coordinator. Why would you want to do this? What is your goal in doing so?
Did the author write a story you don't agree with? Do not read it.
Did the author steal your story line? File a complaint with the library of congress. Get an entertainment attorney on speed dial.
Has a coordinator become a threat to the industry professionals? I highly doubt it. Even if so, be a professional and take it up with them. Work together.
Has a model, reader, blogger or author crossed the line in some fashion? Take it up with them rather than blasting them on social media.
This is not intended to blast anyone or anything, nor is there any name calling. If offense is taken (which is not my intent), then reach out to me. I am one of the kindest persons you'll EVER meet, but never, ever, mistake my kindness for weakness.
It takes years to build up trust in someone but it can take only a second to destroy it. The mouth is a powerful weapon, use it wisely. Use it in a book as a man who is seducing a woman. Use drama in your story to build your plot, not drive away authors and potential readers.
Hey Readers! #AAD this year is giving away over 4000 books, registrations to AAD 2015 and TNEE Vegas and a TON of author sponsored prizes and gifts. And there's a HUGE costume ball, an open bar, parties, mini events, an in house tattoo artist, corsetier and a mechanical bull.
Yeah, you heard right! Registration(250$) includes all your meals (And we DO provide REAL options for gluten free and vegetarian offerings!) a welcome bag filled with swag and books, and your pass to all the awesome we do every year. Wanna hangout with authors, I mean REALLY hangout with them? This is nothing like ANY mere signing you have attended. ALL the authors attending WANT to hangout with you, talk with you and be a part of the larger world of Literary awesome. Don't you?
Register today! Your conformation will have links to get your hotel and a link and password to get a seat for the Sins and Virtues Ball! Check out all the awesome at http://www.authorsafterdark.org/ or the #AAD FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450532265077444/
Fallen Chronicles Book Tour 2014
AUTHORS AFTER DARK - Charlotte, NC
August 6th - 10th I'll be in Charlotte, NC for the Authors After Dark book signing! You do NOT want to miss out on this event! There is SO MUCH going on that it'll be sad, sad day to not see you there!
Wednesday there's a blind date book party
Thursday there's panels taking place covering any and every subject! Absolutely do NOT want to miss. There's a party Friday night and a Sins and Virtues ball Saturday night. Yours truly is one of the hosts of this party... Sloth! Yes... bitches being lazy and making it look fabulous! There is so much happening you do NOT want to miss this! Click here for more information on the Facebook page! Click here for ticket sales!
INDIE MASHUP PRESENTS ANGELS & SINNERS TOUR - Tampa, FL
September 12th and 13th I'll be in Tampa, FL for the Indie Mashup presents Angels & Sinners book tour! If you've not been to Tampa, now's your chance! September is still warm but this event will be HOT!
The VIP ticket includes the signing AND Angels & Sinners party Friday night! Get front of the line access Saturday for the big signing! Industry professionals will be joining us so don't miss this opportunity to join us! Check out the video below made for the events! Click here for more information the Facebook page! Click here for ticket information!
PURE TEXTUALITY - Minneapolis
October 2nd through the 5th I'll be in Minneapolis, MN for the first Pure Textuality con! You may see #14PT going around. If so, that is it!
Minneapolis weather may be chilly in October but I guarantee you the event will be STEAMING!! There are many panels, HOT subjects, guests of honor and so MUCH more! Did I mention a party? Well yeah, there will be a huge party a well! Do NOT miss this opportunity to come out to Minneapolis and party with us and attend the signing. It will be EPIC! Click here for more information for #14PT. Click here for ticket sales!
The Novel Experience Event
So... what are you doing the last weekend of March? No plans? Well come on out to Atlanta, GA and attend the The Novel Experience Event (TNEE)! I'll be there among 130+ other authors! We'll be signing and selling books, taking pictures and some of us will have our muses!
I'll also be hosting an event party with two other fabulous ladies you do NOT want to miss! As soon as everything is planned out, I'll start giving you some teasers. Till then, a teaser I can give you is NAME THAT DRINK!
those Writer Moments
(50 Things Only Writers Would Understand)
Stolen from my fabulous girly, Christina! You can find her here.
50. That awesome writer moment when you type “The End.”
49. That awesome writer moment when you reread something you just wrote and it’s like reading something somebody else wrote, and you wonder where the hell it came from.
48. That thankful writer moment when you get the kids to bed and you FINALLY get to sit your ass down and write.
47. That sad writer moment when you discover that a character you’ve grown to really like/love . . . has to die.
46. That awesome writer moment when you realize that what you are writing is bigger than you, is coming from some place beyond you, and you are but a vestibule for the creative workings of the Universe to materialize. . . . When that Universal truth comes to you as a gift to be shared through your talent, humbly, a light for others to see themselves and the world by.
45. That moment when you realize you need to kill your darlings. (See above)
44. When you realize you are narrating your life in third person again.
43. That awesome writer moment when you’re writing a creepy scene and you keep looking over your shoulder, making sure no one’s behind you. In your own house. In daylight.
42. That moment when an idea to do something perfectly horrible to your characters creeps up on you and makes you smile, evilly.
41. When you are losing an argument so you start correcting their grammar.
40. When your back is killing you, your eyes are buggin’, your legs have lost all their sensation, but still you write on like the badass word-slinger that you are.
39. That awkward writer moment when you start talking to a non-reader/writer passionately about your book and they pretend like they care but it’s obvious they are most interested in the activities of a nearby Porta Potty than your book.
38. That Halleluiah! writer moment when you’ve been querying agents/publishers for eons, and you finally get that “yes.”
37. When you get a brilliant idea in the shower and you hop out with soap still on your body to scribble it down on a paper plate with a crayon (or something like that )
36. When you’re on a road trip and you put on your headphones and listen to inspiring music while working out plot details in your head the whole way.
35. That awesome writer moment when you have to pull over to write something down.
34. That moment when the best thing you ever wrote was born on a napkin.
33. That moment when your “emergency fire rescue” box in your house is too full of your writing stuff to fit any family photos, baby keepsakes, important paperwork, etc.
32. When you are constantly catching typos in places they shouldn’t be; cereal boxes, shampoo bottles, text books, signs, and your kid’s printed homework pages . . . . and you make a big deal out of it. And no one else cares.
31. When one kind comment or note of encouragement from a reader/fellow writer can pull you out of that mucky bog of motivation-less self-pity and disenchantment.
30. That sweet moment when someone you know and love reads your book and you feel closer to them.
29. When you have a child within the age bracket of your YA book. (Yes! Priceless input!)
28. When that child doesn’t want to read your book because it doesn’t have vampires in it. (Seriously?)
27. When you read a really awesome book and you have to read it again so you can pick it apart and see exactly how the author made it so freakin’ awesome.
26. When you’re talking with another writer in front of a non-writer and they are awkwardly standing there like, “huh?”
25. That inspiring moment when a big storm comes and you start plotting end of the world weather scenarios and storylines in your head.
24. That awkward moment when you meet someone who reminds you of one of your characters and you’re like, “WTF?”
23. When that plot kink works itself out in a dream, after stressing all day/week/month about it.
22. When you write your first novel and are in love with it . . . .
21. When you look at your first novel a year later and realize what a POS it is . . . .
20. When you see how necessary it was that your first novel be a POS, because you learned so much in the process of writing it.
19. When you would rather write than go out and “party.”
18. When you would rather write than sleep.
17. When you would rather write than do most things.
16. When you’re having an “off” day, and someone gives you unwarranted constructive criticism . . . and you want to tell them what they can do with their unwarranted constructive criticism.
15. When you write drunk and think it’s the best thing you ever wrote . . . .
14. That moment when you look at your drunken mumbo jumbo the next day.
13. When you have more books on your kindle than your local public library has on its shelves.
12. That amazing moment when what you are writing makes you laugh . . . . or cry.
11. That awkward moment when seeing an old typewriter is an aphrodisiac.
10. When you develop a crush on a fictional character . . . . (Hey, he’s eighteen, it’s legal, right?)
9. That moment when a blog post you wrote goes “viral.”
8. That crappy feeling two days after your post went viral when people are so “over it” already.
7. That ancient writer memory of always having ink-stained hands.
6. When you have an elevator-pitch moment with a chance-encounter, and you totally forget what your book is about, how to speak, and that you are even an author in the first place.
5. When you base a character on someone that pisses you off . . . and they just have to die. (hehehe)
4. When you take your shitty day out on your characters . . . and it works . . . and it’sawesome.
3. When you finally meet that special person who “gets” you, and appreciates your word-nerdiness in all its glory.
2. When you light your keyboard on fire because you’re on a roll and the thoughts are flowing and the story has begun writing itself and you can barely keep up.
1. When your characters tell you exactly what they want you to do next . . . or else.
And one to grow on:
The realization that you cannot not write, even if you are not getting paid enough, or at all; because it is who you are. It is your gift.
Love to all my awesome writer friends <3
Want to join my newsletter? Click here!